• Posted by Pregnant Stories
  • 16 Dec 2008

What a heck of a day. Didn’t get a mile from home on my way to work at 8:30 a.m., wet and foggy out, I was stopped in traffic. Started to move forward and I let off the brake, then my foot slipped (wet shoes) when I went to hit the brake and it hit the gas instead, and I got into a decent fender bender. The cars aren’t that bad, my front bumper is pretty messed up (other car looks fine), but more importantly the lady I hit complained of neck pain and was on the phone before I could pull over and get out and ask if she was ok. She nodded and was calling 911 because we were on a busy 2 lane route blocking traffic. She then noticed that I’m pregnant and said “are you pregnant?” I said yeah and she kinda did a ‘oh geesh’ and rolled her eyes and let me know an ambulance was coming.

I called my husband and he was just about to get on the train to go into the city to work, so he wasn’t that far away. The cops and paramedics showed up and we got our cars off the road. The paramedics wanted to take me too after finding out I’m about 30 weeks pregnant. I called my doctor’s office and they said not to refuse treatment and go get checked out even if I felt ok, which I did. I told the paramedics my husband was going to take me to the hospital (he had arrived) I was already registered at, and they said ok and left. I don’t think they would have let me not go with them if my hubby hadn’t showed up and said he was taking me to our hospital. The cop didn’t give me a ticket, just a case number.

We went to the emergency room and I love this hospital, it’s just not too busy. They took me up to L&D within 5 minutes and had me on the monitors for about 3 hours. I was having some small contractions and the baby’s heart rate was all over the place, from 170 to 120. We had lunch and the contractions stopped, and the baby’s heartbeat leveled out at about 150 for a good hour, so they sent me home. The doctor there was actually the one from my group that I have an appointment with on Friday, she was really nice.

I had a feeling everything was ok. The baby was really active, trying to kick the monitors off my belly. They did blood tests to check for placental abruption and any bleeding since I’m RH- (I just had a rhogam shot anyway) and all came back negative.

They let me go home around 1:30 p.m. with a list of signs to watch for. I feel ok. Just a bit sore from tensing up during the hit I think. More importantly the baby is fine. I feel horrible, but accidents happen and on a scale of 1-10, this was a 2.

It is very upsetting. I never had an accident before I got pregnant, and now I’ve had 2 in 3 months. I’m getting scared to drive.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.